Saturday 7 January 2012

My Thoughts on... Beetroot

Beetroot. Beets. Funny, rough-looking, stain-your-fingers vegetables that I confess until recently were not much eaten in our house. Occasionally the jar of pickled beets would grace our table but that was about it. Until recently...

I have discovered the wonder and versatility of this root and am thoroughly enjoying it lately.

Preparation
I find the easiest method of cooking to be roasting fresh beets. Boiling is certainly an option but the splashes are such a mess! Simple method: quick wash then peel (some save peeling until cooked but then you have to wait for them to cool...). Wrap them up in a loose package of tinfoil, roast at say 450 (perhaps at same time as roasting vegetables). When cooked to fork-tender they can be served in so many ways.

Uses for Cooked Beets
  • Served warm as-is
  • Diced or grated and chilled and served in a salad (can actually make a salad moist and flavourful enough to skip dressing altogether, same goes for in a wrap
  • Grated and stirred into fat-free Greek yogurt for a delicious, sweet snack or addition to salad or filling for a wrap

As with all my "thoughts on..." foods, I do not presume to know or have tried all the variations of a food nor prepared it in all its fashions. I want only to share what I enjoy about it in hopes that it reminds me when I've forgotten and may occasionally spark a new meal idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment