Saturday 7 January 2012

My Thoughts on... Cabbage

Cabbage is not exactly something that I would have thought of as a main ingredient in my cooking until recently. Now, it appears in various forms in all sorts of dishes.

Uses - or at least a few examples
  • Diet-friendly slaw - see recipe for Crunchy Slaws
  • Salad filler - add raw, finely-diced purple or white cabbage to green salad to add some crunch, a little peppery flavour, and when purple it's just plain pretty.
  • Side dish. Boiled cabbage, especially curly green cabbage, is a great side for a cooked roast dinner as it picks up gravy nicely (made from granules is diet-friendly)
  • Pasta-replacement. Boiled cabbage is a great substitute for pasta. I sometimes replace the pasta altogether but sometimes just mix them to reduce the carb intake.

As with all my "thoughts on..." foods, I do not presume to know or have tried all the variations of a food nor prepared it in all its fashions. I want only to share what I enjoy about it in hopes that it reminds me when I've forgotten and may occasionally spark a new meal idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment